catching up with Christmas
I'm rewinding back to the 23rd, when my brother came to bring presents to the boys. They hardly get to see their uncle due to his unusual work schedule, so when the doorbell started playing "frosty the snowman", all hell broke loose. There stood my brother at the door holding presents for my monsters. I was having a bad day, as usual, and just sobbing as I prepped for baking cookies. He held me and I felt all sadness suddenly leave. Then we went into the den to watch the kids open presents. He wouldn't be able to see them for Christmas so they were allowed to open.
Once again, there was a box used to house my little one's present. As he unwrapped it, he was pleased to find a case of cup of noodles. Unfortunately that wasn't the gift. He was so happy to see his favorite soup. When he lifted the box to place it right side up, the present, a thomas the train pillow, fell out. That distracted him for a moment and he ran around hugging the pillow. Then he remembered the soup. He went back to get the soup to bring to me and discovered it was an empty box. He was sorely disappointed. I told my brother to just bring him soup next time.
As with most holidays, I sit my little one down and try to explain the significance behind them. I did this with the older one, but now he thinks he knows it all. So J and I spent time gazing at the Christmas tree and talking that afternoon, as kiddo and my brother took off to the mall for last minute shopping. Daddy was at work and this gave us a good amount of quiet time together. I explained about the tradition of gift giving as best you can to a 4 year old, who amazingly got it. He knew about Jesus and understood the concept of gift giving for birthdays, so that when it all got explained, it just "clicked" with him. The nativity was pointed out and he saw the baby Jesus.
That night, when the house got quiet, we saw Nestor the long-eared Christmas Donkey. When hubby and I first met, we had a long talk about traditions and both had remembered this movie. It was our first Christmas together that we went to suncoast and bought it so we could watch it with our kids, since it no longer airs on television. So hubby and J snuggled on the sofa and I was on the chair and as the momma tucked Nestor in beneath her and said "ears, Nestor", hubby and I teared up, knowing that when little Nestor awoke, that the momma would be buried beneath snow. Again, through the story, the birth of Jesus is explained and it helped J to remember the talk about the nativity and Christmas.
Christmas Eve, we usually spend with my side of the family. The tradition is broken now that grandma is no longer alive and that my parents are divorced, with mom moving so far away. My relatives all have "issues" and it was best that I didn't try to contact anyone since my efforts earlier this year were for naught. However, we got a call from my aunt that afternoon, and though she was having a get together, like she always does, we weren't to be invited. Instead she pointed out that they'd not be seeing us and that this year we'd not be together. "Maybe next year", was offered instead. No biggie since I didn't have any desire to drive into south central LA on Christmas Eve. I was sick and completely tired, anyways. We decided since I was sick and not feeling up to cooking, that we'd go out and pick something up. There aren't too many places open on Christmas Eve, and even fewer with what J wanted, "pizza with ronies on the top". Lucky for us, that taco bell was open. They had a pizza hut there, as well so all was coming together.
As we were on our way home, we turned on the holiday music and took a slight detour, looking at lights. At once house, there was a big nativity out front. Kiddo made sure to tell J about baby Jesus and the meaning of Christmas, to which J shouted, "I know, brother, I know all about it!". Kiddo just stopped short, slack jawed, while Daddy and I laughed.
After we ate, Kiddo went straight to bed and to sleep. I think it was 8 pm? J had a little more energy so Daddy and J played trains for a bit before he finally went down and Santa could do his magic.
I hid movies and video games among the tree branches. Remote control ATV's were on either side of the tree with toys scattered all around. One side of the tree was for J and the other for kiddo. Stockings were stuffed so full and just waiting for the little boys to dump out. I couldn't wait for the kids to find the loot in the morning. I was so tired, but excited, so I logged in and talked to my Daddy on the pc for a while. Talked to a friend and then had some nyquil so I could stop the coughing and stuffy head and get some sleep.
Once again, there was a box used to house my little one's present. As he unwrapped it, he was pleased to find a case of cup of noodles. Unfortunately that wasn't the gift. He was so happy to see his favorite soup. When he lifted the box to place it right side up, the present, a thomas the train pillow, fell out. That distracted him for a moment and he ran around hugging the pillow. Then he remembered the soup. He went back to get the soup to bring to me and discovered it was an empty box. He was sorely disappointed. I told my brother to just bring him soup next time.
As with most holidays, I sit my little one down and try to explain the significance behind them. I did this with the older one, but now he thinks he knows it all. So J and I spent time gazing at the Christmas tree and talking that afternoon, as kiddo and my brother took off to the mall for last minute shopping. Daddy was at work and this gave us a good amount of quiet time together. I explained about the tradition of gift giving as best you can to a 4 year old, who amazingly got it. He knew about Jesus and understood the concept of gift giving for birthdays, so that when it all got explained, it just "clicked" with him. The nativity was pointed out and he saw the baby Jesus.
That night, when the house got quiet, we saw Nestor the long-eared Christmas Donkey. When hubby and I first met, we had a long talk about traditions and both had remembered this movie. It was our first Christmas together that we went to suncoast and bought it so we could watch it with our kids, since it no longer airs on television. So hubby and J snuggled on the sofa and I was on the chair and as the momma tucked Nestor in beneath her and said "ears, Nestor", hubby and I teared up, knowing that when little Nestor awoke, that the momma would be buried beneath snow. Again, through the story, the birth of Jesus is explained and it helped J to remember the talk about the nativity and Christmas.
Christmas Eve, we usually spend with my side of the family. The tradition is broken now that grandma is no longer alive and that my parents are divorced, with mom moving so far away. My relatives all have "issues" and it was best that I didn't try to contact anyone since my efforts earlier this year were for naught. However, we got a call from my aunt that afternoon, and though she was having a get together, like she always does, we weren't to be invited. Instead she pointed out that they'd not be seeing us and that this year we'd not be together. "Maybe next year", was offered instead. No biggie since I didn't have any desire to drive into south central LA on Christmas Eve. I was sick and completely tired, anyways. We decided since I was sick and not feeling up to cooking, that we'd go out and pick something up. There aren't too many places open on Christmas Eve, and even fewer with what J wanted, "pizza with ronies on the top". Lucky for us, that taco bell was open. They had a pizza hut there, as well so all was coming together.
As we were on our way home, we turned on the holiday music and took a slight detour, looking at lights. At once house, there was a big nativity out front. Kiddo made sure to tell J about baby Jesus and the meaning of Christmas, to which J shouted, "I know, brother, I know all about it!". Kiddo just stopped short, slack jawed, while Daddy and I laughed.
After we ate, Kiddo went straight to bed and to sleep. I think it was 8 pm? J had a little more energy so Daddy and J played trains for a bit before he finally went down and Santa could do his magic.
I hid movies and video games among the tree branches. Remote control ATV's were on either side of the tree with toys scattered all around. One side of the tree was for J and the other for kiddo. Stockings were stuffed so full and just waiting for the little boys to dump out. I couldn't wait for the kids to find the loot in the morning. I was so tired, but excited, so I logged in and talked to my Daddy on the pc for a while. Talked to a friend and then had some nyquil so I could stop the coughing and stuffy head and get some sleep.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home