Wednesday, February 7

Slice of life

Where to begin? Shall I start at the beginning and work my way forward? No. Much better to work from the present and tie up all the loose ends.

Tired from waking up at 3:00 in the morning, to hear dogs barking. I'm still sick, so why was I out there, in the fog, with a big stick, looking for whatever it was that was making them bark? Why was hubby, who isn't sick, still in the warm bed? Either way, I heard the panic in their bark. Something was definitely going on, so out I went.

Evidentally there was an opossum in the neighborhood, that I didn't see at first, and all the dogs were barking. Not enough to make my dog whine though, something else. She heard her puppy down the block whining, which started her going bananas in our yard. The puppies were just given away last week, a litter of 4. When I came into the house to grab a flashlight and wake up the bum, my little bitch decided to find a way to her pup. She broke through the bottom part of the gate, and was GONE. So while hubby is investigating the yard, I jump in the van and take off down the block to find the runaway. There she was, right at their fence, trying to find her puppy. She came easily to me, thankfully, and I brought her home and secured the gate. This is when the opossum was pointed out to me. Poor little thing was so scared. There's a big population of them now, as they're spotted more frequently.

Like I mentioned, I'm still sick. This is a head cold. Pure and simple and yet, it is making me dizzy and keeping me from accomplishing things. The house is scattered with toys, since the sinus pressure is too much and I can't bend down to pick them up. They get picked up when my oldest boy comes home, and that's only if I can get him to help out. Laundry, too, is taking over the house. Today, I've sorted out the loads and am going to tackle it, slowly but surely. I only have half a day to do it though.

Today I'll be picking up my mom from work and taking her with me to costco to order a cake for kiddo's birthday. He's going to be 10 already. My spiderman is going to be ten. I remember when he was conceived. Right before my final exam for my geography class. Hated that class. Hubby and I had been married for a year and a half. I was on the pill to regulate my periods so I could start trying for a baby in a few months, but the pill didn't agree with me. They pulled me off of it a few days before. My sister-in-law had told me not to worry about it and to just stand on my head, like she did when she was pregnant with my niece. We were upstairs in our condo and wiped out from studying. A break was much needed and when we finished I snuck out of the room and stood on my head in the hallway. When he came out to wash up, he started laughing. So that day, not only did I pass my final exam with a B, but I was also busy making a baby.

This afternoon, I'll be at his school to watch my almost 10 year old in his school spelling bee. He barely passed his class spelling bee, to the shagrin of his teacher. My child is bright. His teacher knows it, as well as his teacher's colleagues and principal. They all sat down last week to discuss a few students and ended up laughing at all the little comments and tidbits my son decides to share. In any case, they were disappointed to hear that kiddo didn't do so well with his class bee. Teacher called to ask why, and I explained about my having surgery. He knew it, as kiddo had already told him, but didn't see a correlation between the two.

Kiddo knows that if he makes it to the district level, that I won't be there. I've always been at every one of his functions, without fail. His dad on the otherhand.....well....that's another story. It didn't make sense for him to try if he knew we wouldn't be there for him. I felt so bad when I realized my poor baby was so stressed. We've had more than a few discussions about it and today he's ready to conquer the world. He studied hard. He knows the kids in his class are hoping he won't make it. They're so jealous of him. It doesn't help when teacher keeps holding him up as an example. I can see why he feels he must, but it makes it harder for my son. I know he probably won't do so well today, but I will be there and support him regardless. He is my boy and will do his best. However, if he does make it to the district level, I'm sending a video camera and will be waiting at home for him.

The district spelling bee is being held on the day I'm being released from the hospital. I'm looking forward to having this surgery. I know there will be pain and I know I'll not have a good night's rest there, but it will be over with. I'm having this recurring nightmare that I'll go in for my pre-op and get my questions answered, go for lab work and register with the hospital, only to be called and told they can't operate because I'm pregnant. That would absolutely blow my mind if they did that to me, but there's a slight, very slight, chance that it could happen. If it does, then it's going to change a whole lot of things.

This is where today's tale ends. I've been writing between laundry and various other chores around the house. I suppose it's time I get back to chores.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home